History Sites – Plum City
The Spring Pond
Main Street between Spring and Oak Streets
The natural spring that feeds this pond was used by Native Americans, trappers and traders in the valley of Plum Creek before settlement. Though the pond appears to have been dug out, one early settler insisted that when he arrived, it was as it appears now. An historical marker at the site commemorates the rich early history of the area and the boom and bust economy that brought Plum City through the last two centuries.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
200 Church Street
The bricks for this building, ca. 1903, were made at the local brickyard owned by pioneer, Joseph Oberding. It’s supporting stone was mined from nearby quarries. Located on a small rise, it replaced a smaller white frame structure that served the Catholic community for 18 years.
224 Main Street
A former boarding house and hotel, the building is one of the oldest standing in the city. Pioneer and Swiss Immigrant John Moser built a log structure on the site in 1866 and called it the Linden House. He replaced it in 1875 with the New Linden House, the city’s first brick structure. It passed through several owners until Dan O’Connell bought it in 1899 and renamed it the Union House.